Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Grits For Breakfast...

"Grits for breakfast!"

Oh, how many Saturday mornings did I hear my Mom call this up the steps to our bedroom in the old farmhouse at the Buck?  How quickly did I jump out of bed and stumble down the steps, my mouth already watering as soon as my feet hit the floor?

It's not the typical breakfast for a family in the "north"...isn't grits a southern food?

My parents spent the first two years of their married life in the south doing volunteer work.  The first year they lived and worked in a retirement home in Lexington, SC, and the second year they spent in Immokolee, FL.  Their two years in the south were where they learned to love grits...and they passed it on to all of us girls.  From little on up, it was a favorite breakfast food...served with lots of butter, of course!

My family will eat grits...but not nearly as enthusiastically as I do.  This recipe is a little different from the "regular" grits, and they enjoy it more.  Jim requested it this week, as an alternative to his usual breakfast fare...

Creamy Grits
4 cups whole milk
1 cup quick grits
4 Tbsp. butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

On medium high heat, heat milk until bubbles appear, but not to boiling.
Stir in grits...



Reduce to low heat and cover.  Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and add butter and cheese, stirring until melted...




Add salt and pepper to taste.


Enjoy anytime...but on a cold winter morning especially.

Who says you have to be a southerner to enjoy grits?

9 comments:

  1. That looks like something I would enjoy. The closest I've com to making grits is polenta. I love polenta but the corn meal is yellow instead of white. I love to fry the polenta in butter and serve it with cheese, mushroom and spaghetti sauce for dinner.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good ! Years ago when we were in Florida at a Denny's they asked if we want hash browns , hushpuppies or grits with our meal I had to laugh as being Canadian we had no idea what either of them were lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you load 'em up! i'd never had grits until i moved to texas. wisconsinites only heard about them from movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family never, ever ate grits. I don't think my mom even knew what they are... but
    I remember once as a newly married bride, my friend cooking grits on the store for her breakfast. I had to ask her what on earth it WAS! I thought them bland, and it may just have been the way they were fixed. I have never eaten them again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hominy" grits are a corn product. You would buy them in the hot cereal section of the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wondering if grits are a lot like cream of wheat only made from corn. Is it as hard to make grits without a lump or two sneaking in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that looks fantastic, I need to make this with my grits. I bet it would keep your tummy warm out in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we LOVE grits around here! I usually make them pretty plain and serve them with eggs. I would call your special method "cheese grits" - and sometimes I'll make them for supper with beans and greens on the side. So southern and so delicious. Definitely going to try your method :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!